About Duran & Duran-Schulze AttorneysElection Law Special Proceedings
Marie Christine Duran-Schulze, JD, MBA
Concentrating in Family Law Litigation, Civil Law Litigation, Criminal Law Litigation, Labor Law Litigation, Election Law Litigation, Special Proceedings and Corporate Matters.
Highlights of Practice
- Actively participated in the legislation research and drafting thereof. Communicated with constituents, stakeholders and lobbyists, and handled legislation related political issues
- Formulated priorities among legislative issues, designed lobbying strategies, performed leadership roles in ad hoc committees, and other similarly substantive planning or managerial roles
- Strategically provided Public Officials with reliable data and accurate assessments of a bill’s pros and cons in addition to providing rational views on public policy issues, viz., Government Agencies and other stakeholders.
- Had significant participation in several measures such as the Intellectual Property Code amendments, Labeling of Meat and Meat Food Products, Toy and Safety Labeling, Regulating the use of plastic bags measures, among others.
- Advising clients on the tax issues involved in their corporate transactions, while providing efficiency in their corporations’ tax planning
- Advising expatriates on acquiring foreign and/or domestic entities and structuring their foreign and/or domestic operations
- Advising on international transfer pricing
- Customs Duties and Value-Added Tax or VAT
- Advising Corporations on available government incentives (i.e. BOI, PEZA, etc)
- Tax Controversies and Litigation
- Executive compensation and employee benefits
- Mergers and acquisitions, including taxable and tax-free acquisitions, dispositions and spin-offs
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Representing high-growth companies, from pre-incorporation to an acquisition
- Advising companies in their Due Diligence in the examination of a company’s overall risk management framework and system.
- Advising entrepreneurs, incorporating companies and guiding them on operational and employment issues, stock options, and commercial arrangements
- Advising clients on seed and venture capital financing as well as in the negotiations with investors and strategic partners on Merger and Acquisition strategy through all phases of necessary M & A contracts.
- Closely advising clients on compliance throughout the entire process of merging and/or acquiring entities
- Negotiating complex transactions to ensure tax efficiencies and minimize tax risks for clients during a merger or acquisition
- Assists in all phases of the formation and operations of corporations and the day to day housekeeping for the corporation and it(s) shareholder(s)
- Constructs joint ventures, licensing arrangements, mergers, acquisitions and is well versed in internal forms and provides business tax consultations
- Assists in the compliance, adherence to the federal regulation and licensing and particular familiarity with the FDA
- Drafts and reviews Corporate contracts, viz., employment contracts, service contracts, client contracts, partnership agreements, Master contracts for Human Resource Departments (particularly in probationary employment, training bond, confidentiality and project consultancy agreements) for domestic entities and expatriate entities as well
- Today, Ms. Duran-Schulze represents corporate clients engaged in a multitude of Industries
- Ms. Duran-Schulze is also a consultant for the Office of Senator Manny Villar in Pasay City and has been since August of 2009, hence the abovementioned Legislative Duties.
- Ms. Duran-Schulze is also the Chief Legal Officer for TeleHealth Solutions Inc., whose progressive and incisive business plans have consistently put their ideas on the cutting edge of Outsourced Medical Support Services throughout the Global industry since 2011.
Education and Academic Attainments
Ms. Duran-Schulze is one of the pioneer graduates of the Masters in Business Administration (MBA) – Juris Doctor (JD) Dual-Degree-Program of the Far Eastern University Institute of Law and the De La Salle Graduate School of Business. She ranked 5th in her class when she received her MBA-JD Degrees in 2008. She graduated from the University of the Philippines in 2003 with a Bachelors of Science in Business Economics with the Dean’s Medal Distinction.
- Licensed to Practice Law in the Philippines and is Civil Service Eligible
- Fluent in English and Filipino (Tagalog), Conversational in Ilocano, a Filipino dialect
When Not In The Office…
March enjoys playing Catan. She enjoys Kindle reading: young-adult fiction books. Her recent book additions are: the Lorien Legacies series, starting with “I am Number Four” by Pittacus Lore and “Hunger Games” by Suzanne Collins.